Saturday 31 May 2008

So I got the date for my procedure, its the 12th of June, which is the week I go back to my placement, typical! I received the letter a couple of days ago and it says that I need to be at the ward for 9.00am and should expect to stay one night, however yesterday I received two more letters (all about the same thing) one from the nephrology and one from the radiology department and one of them said I had to be at the ward for 7.30am!!!

My mum rang up to check which was correct and just my luck its the 7.30am one, due to them having to take bloods before the procedure is undertaken! I also asked mum to ask If I was able to eat normally the day of the operation, but guess what, no, I have to have a light breakfast at 5 o clock in the morning!!!! I don't think I'll be able to stomach that! I also need to ring the ward and ask when I need to stop taking my asprin tablets (these are used to prevent clots and stop strokes) If I were to take these as normal before my procedure I could bleed a lot (as it thins the blood) and of course, I don't want that!

So I'm hoping all goes to plan, and the procedure is a sucess. I'm going to do my best to try and not stay in over night! I have been known to get dressed, put make up on (extra blusher) and straighten my hair to make myself look fit and well to go home, even if I am feeling rotten! But hey its worked before and I'm willing to try anything!

I have been in touch with Uni and have told them the date of my op, they have been helpful, but still insist on me completing 144 hours, they won't budge on this. I'll just have to squeeze my hours in, when I'm feeling up to it, but obviously I'm not going to go back too soon, as I don't want to risk messing up my Fistula. I'm aiming to work the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before the op and then the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the following week after the op, but we'll see!

So I'm enjoying my 2 weeks off, not really done that much, just making the most of relaxing and conserving my energy for when I go back to placement!

3 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie, good luck for the op, we'll all be thinking of you! Hope you don't have to stay in too - sometimes packing all your bags and sitting with your coat on when the doctor comes round helps haha! Lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly
    Good luck with the procedure - I hope it goes well.
    If you feel up to it, let us know how your hospital stay was on Patient Opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope all goes well tomorrow honey, thinking of you lots xxx

    ReplyDelete