Tuesday 29 December 2009

The greatest gift of all at christmas...

This blog seems to be taking a back seat... but this only means one thing... I am enjoying life and having lots of fun... spending less time sitting in front of a computer!

I have done various bits and bobs to raise awareness of Organ Donation over the past few weeks, the 2 main ones that stick out are the Radio Merseyside programme called Life Begins. The presenter was called Ian Kenyon and it was the most relaxed interview I have ever done! He asked all the right questions, gave me plenty of time to answer and I said everything I wanted to say!

Another opportunity to raise awareness came about when the PR lady from The Royal Liverpool Hospital got in touch, they wanted to do an article about 3 people affected by organ donation. A person who was waiting for a transplant (turns out I used to dialyse with him when I was first diagnosed in 2005), a doctor who works in ICU and me, being a recipient! Mum took me up to the Royal a couple of weeks ago for us to have our picture taken together... 3 very different people, affected by organ donation in very different ways. The article hasn't been printed in the Liverpool Echo yet, I will let you know as soon as it is so you can get yourselves a copy, I will be interested to see how it is written up and how it is linked together.

I had a lovely christmas, it was a quiet one really. My Gran is in hospital at the minute, this will be the first christmas she hasn't spent it with us, although we did go and visit her and take her some presents. My bro, his wife and Abi came round in the morning to open presents she was so overwhelmed by it all but it was so lovely to see her running about, she is so much more aware of what is happening this year!

I got lots of lovely presents, perfume, make up, smellies, chocolates and girly stuff! This was the first year that I could really let my hair down, no restrictions - diet or fluid. Last year I was still recovering from the op and my energy levels weren't back to normal... this year I managed to do so much in the weeks leading up to christmas it was fab including lots of nights out with my friends! Not forgetting the only reason I can do all these things is thanks to my donor... who is never far from my thoughts but especially to the donor family at this time of year.

The greatest gift of all this christmas came on 27th of December, a little bit late but I can't complain... it was that Jessica Wales got her long awaited double lung transplant! What a miracle!? That morning she took a turn for the worst and things didn't look good... that night some special person gave Jess a second chance, their family said yes to Organ Donation and gave Jess the gift of life! I still get goosebumps thinking about it... Jess is such an inspirational you lady and I remember writing this blog back in September... things were worse than this on Sunday Morning... but now, things are looking better! Jess has a fighting chance, she is still on a ventilator and fully sedated (which is not unusual for lung transplant recipients) this is giving her body time to rest and recuperate as she was so ill before! Keep up to date with Jess' progress here 0n her facebook group.

What a way to end 2009?!

Jess we are all thinking of you and your family and sending lots of love to you all....

You could save lives like Jess's, give the gift of life... sign the Organ Donor Register.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying life and having fun Holly :) Glad to hear that you had such a fantastic Christmas. My nan usually spends Christmas with us, but like your gran, she was in hospital this year. We went to visit her though.

    It was great to wake up to the news the other morning that Jess had received her transplant. And it's thanks to you and all the amazing work you've done to raise awareness of organ donation, keep up the good work. I hope Jess has a smooth recovery.

    Take care,
    Moll x x

    ReplyDelete