Monday 23 November 2009

Abseil for Life...

Sorry I haven't posted sooner... The abseil seems so long ago.. I can't believe I haven't told you all about it... instead I am going to point in the direction of the Live Life Then Give Life Blog as they have done their own news item on it.

Here is the post abseil press release which I sent to local press, I haven't heard anything back yet which is a bit disappointing.. oh well it was worth a shot.

22-year-old transplant patient abseils 100ft to raise funds and awareness for Organ Donation campaign

‘Abseil for life’ team calling for more people to sign the register

Last week 38 people launched themselves down a 100ft high lighthouse for organ donation charity, Live Life Then Give Life. Young transplant recipient and campaigner, Holly Shaw (22), organised and took part in the abseil to coincide with the launch of NHS Blood and Transplant’s new campaign.

‘Abseil for life’ took place on Saturday 7th November at Leasowe Lighthouse on the Wirral. So far her and her team have raised over £3500 with more money coming in all the time.

Holly has been the North West Advocate for Live Life Then Give Life (LLTGL), which supports people waiting for transplants and funds projects that increase the numbers of successful transplants in the UK, for the last year. Since then, Holly has been at the forefront of raising awareness in the North West.

Holly had her kidney transplant in October last year and felt privileged to be able to do the abseil. There is a chronic shortage of Organ Donors and many people waiting on the transplant list are not so lucky, with their time running out too soon.

She says: “I wanted to do a physical challenge to show what a difference this transplant has made to my life. I also wanted to raise money for Live Life Then Give Life as I am very grateful to them for all the help and support that they gave me whilst I was waiting for my transplant. I want to give hope to other people who are on the waiting list.”

None of this would be possible if it wasn’t for Holly’s Donor and the fact that their family said yes to Organ Donation. Holly says: “I will be eternally grateful to the donor and their family for giving me this chance at a new life I intend to make the most of my precious “Gift of Life” and I am keen to continue raising as much awareness as I possibly can.”

Another participant taking part included a fellow LLTGL advocate Andrea Evans who says “I hope the abseil raised awareness about the importance of Organ Donation. Signing the Organ Donor Register is free, it takes two minutes, and it could save someone's life. Holly’s and my life was changed because of our kidney transplants and someone made that decision to donate their organs. I hope others will do the same."

LLTGL is a charity that supports individuals and families of people that are waiting for a transplant, post transplant and those families who have lost loved ones whilst waiting for a transplant. LLTGL also encourages people to sign up to the Organ Donor register.

Holly added: “while I want to thank everyone who took part – in organising it and of course those who have sponsored the team – there is still time for more people to make a difference by signing the register and sponsoring the abseil for life team.”

How you can help
• Go online to the teams Just Giving page and sponsor Holly and her helpers there. http://www.justgiving.com/LLTGL-abseil/
• Sign up to the Organ Donor Register online at www.organdonation.nhs.uk or by phoning 0300 123 23 23

To find out more about Holly and Live Life Then Give Life Log on to: www.lltgl.org.uk

________________________________________________________

What it doesn't say in the press release is that it was the most terrifying thing I have EVER done, I cried my eyes out and had to talk to myself the whole way down, reminding me why I was doing it etc. I'm really pleased with the total raised so far (over £3,500) there is still lots more to come in so I will keep you updated... and there is still plenty of time to sponsor me on the above link if you haven't done so already. Thanks to everyone that took part, helped organise it, helped on the day and those of you who have sponsored, its great to know I have a fantastic support network!

You can see pictures of the abseil here take by my lovely brother by CLICKING HERE!


But I will leave you with my favourite photo from the day...

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs096.snc3/16370_331680985346_654540346_9818105_2510094_n.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment