Tuesday, 27 April 2010

I didn't make it...

Firstly apologies for not updating before now (I have a few good reasons) I have done a couple of guest blogs over on Rachy's blog and I am also on the Live Life Then Give Life blogging team now so check that out.

The main reason I haven't been around is... that I didn't make the 2 year mark without being admitted to hospital, this was an aim of mine but oh well... when needs must.

I thought I had a tummy bug, had the usual D and V that comes with it but I also had a sore chest (which I presumed was from coughing and retching, how wrong was I?). This was Friday the 16th and I spent all day in bed, running an impressive temperature of 39.8 at one point, I still insisted on keeping my duvet over me because I was cold (not very sensible). I also insisted on not going to hospital and that I would be fine the next day, which again I was wrong about.

I felt weak and wobbly on my feet, had dizzy spells and constant sickness (I missed 2 doses of my anti rejection drugs, which worried me), finally I gave in and told my Mum to ring the Royal Liverpool hospital transplant ward. The ward suggested I go to my local A and E or their A and E, I would have rather gone to theirs but there was no way that I could manage the 30minute car journey so instead it was off to Warrington. I ordered (well asked politely) my Mum to wash and dry my hair for me as I was in no doubt that they would keep me in, this involved me getting very out of breath, dizzy and faint. (The things us girls do hey)

I made it to the hospital without being sick in the car but spent my hour wait outside the department sat in a wheelchair throwing up in a bucket (so very attractive). Flashbacks from my last time in A and E came over me, this was in 2005 when I was first diagnosed and appeared with exactly the same symptoms. I was probably more worried than I let on but I knew that I was finally in the right place. I was eventually taken through to majors, with my obs being done, bloods taken and a cannula put in (all echoing the exact same routine that had taken place in 2005). I was given a chest x ray, saline drip, paracetamol and hydrocortazone, which had an effect on me within the hour, I was very impressed and felt relieved.

The chest x ray results came back and I was told I had a bad chest infection, so my self diagnosis of a pulled muscle was wrong then... later I found out that it was actually pneumonia I had! To say I was surprised was an understatement, I'd had an injection against it, always presumed you had to be cold to catch it (don't ask me why) and always thought it was more an old peoples illness?!

I was put on IV antibiotics and kept in Warrington Hospital for 2 nights. I was all ready to be discharged when I was told to keep my outpatients appointment at the Royal Liverpool, so me and my Mum (with me still feeling very rough) drove on over. My transplant consultant took one look at me and decided to admit me there and then! I only stayed in for one night and am now back at home on Oral Augmentin antibiotics, which seem to be doing the trick!

So all in all a very eventful few weeks, full of events I don't want to repeat any time soon! I am on the mend, although I still seem to be feeling a bit of chest pain and I'm still getting tired easily. I was signed off work for 2 weeks (one more week to go) and I am booked in for another x ray on Thursday which will hopefully show things clearing up.

It just goes to show how fragile health can be, it did bring memories flooding back and thats what scared me. I was probably beginning to get comfortable with how my health was going and taking it for granted so it really knocked me for 6 when I was housebound for a week... it was like life on dialysis.

I know its nothing compared to what some people (who are awaiting transplants) have been through or are going through at this very minute but It's given be a huge wake up call that nothing is written in stone and health should never be taken for granted....


  1. Sorry to hear that you've had such a rough few weeks Holly. Glad you're on the mend now though :)

    Take care,
    Moll x x

  2. Wow- you have had a rough trot! (Excuse the unfortunate and un pre-meditated pun!) I noticed you said "it's not as bad as.."- I've just been seeing a shrink for depression, who made me feel a whole lot better by telling me that comparing had made me sick! So let yourself be scared by your experience and cry if you need to- your illness was very nasty, it hurt you both physically and emotionally and you deserve care and attention until you are A1 again- and not just HALF better! Having been through a lot of physical illness in your life, you could well have a post traumatic stress reaction to it and it's important to keep telling people how you really feel. Take care! I may be an old bag, but I was quite ill most of my childhood and at last- I'm a wise old bag!

  3. I hope you are doing well now. I like your blog.

  4. Hey there. Stumbled upon your kidney transplant blog. I'm 32 now, but I was 24 when I first went on dialysis and had a transplant. I'm currently on dialysis again and about to get a 2nd transplant. Your stories are a great read - it's interesting to hear about others who live with the disease. I hope things are going well for you.